TORTELLINI SALAD with RED WINE VINAIGRETTE
Red Wine Vinaigrette:
• 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
• 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 cups extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed
• 6 quarts water
• 1 1/2 tablespoon salt
• 1 1/2 pounds cheese-filled tortellini
• 1/2 cup chopped red onion
• 3/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 cup large black olives, sliced
• 1/4 pound thinly sliced salami, julienned
1. To make the vinaigrette, whisk mustard and vinegar in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Slowly add olive oil while whisking. Add the garlic and let vinaigrette stand at room temperature at least an hour. Remove the garlic, adjust seasoning, and whisk again before using.
2. To make the salad, bring the water to a boil. Stir in salt and tortellini and cook until tender. Pour into a colander to drain, shaking well to remove all of the water.
3. In a large bowl, combine hot tortellini, onion, parsley and 1 cup of the vinaigrette. When cool, add the additional ingredients and more vinaigrette if necessary. Toss before serving.