BEEF RAGOUT in SQUASH HALVES
• 6 acorn squash
• 3 pounds beef round roast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/2 cup cider vinegar
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
• 1 tablespoon salt, divided
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 2 medium onions, sliced,
1. Heat oven to 425˚ F. Cut squash in half; scoop out seeds. Place squash cut side down in a shallow baking dish. Pour in 1-inch of water. Bake uncovered 20 minutes. Remove from oven; drain water and invert squash in baking dishes.
2. Sauté meat in oil and vinegar over medium heat until brown. Stir in 1 1/2 cups water, the rice, half the salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Simmer covered, stirring occasionally until rice is tender, about 40 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Stir in onions.
3. Spoon 3/4 cup of the meat mixture into each squash half. Brush cut edges of squash with melted butter; cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until hot, about 20 minutes.