Roasted Pepper and Black Bean Salad
recipe from the Shepherd's Seed Catalog
• 1 1/4 cup dry black beans
• 2 red and 2 yellow (or orange) bell peppers
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 large clove garlic, minced
• 1/3 cup olive oil
• Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
• 1/3 cup freshly chopped basil
• garnish: 4 scallions, chopped
1. Rinse beans well, drain and add cold water to cover by 3-inches. Let soak overnight. Drain and rinse soaked beans, discarding water. Add fresh water to cover by 3-inches. Bring to a boil, then loosely cover pot and simmer for about one hour until tender but not mushy; season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Place peppers on a baking sheet underneath the broiler. Roast peppers, turning until charred on all sides. Remove from oven and steam in a bag (paper or plastic zip-lock), about 20 minutes. Remove skins and seeds. Cut into large dice. Combine in a serving bowl with beans. Combine dressing ingredients thoroughly and toss with the beans and peppers. Garnish with scallions.