This potato salad is a great accompaniment to any meat. We ate it along with grilled steaks, but with a green salad, a baguette and a glass of wine, you've got dinner!
Potato Salad with Roasted Red Peppers and Olives
• 1 1/2 to 2 pounds small red potatoes
• 2 red bell peppers
• 2 tablespoons white wine or champagne vinegar
• 1 tablespoon capers, drained
• 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
• 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
• 1 large garlic clove, minced
• 2 tablespoons red onion, finely chopped
• salt and freshly ground pepper
• 5 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• Several black olives, pitted and sliced
• Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved or grated
1. Roast the red peppers under the broiler, turning until the peppers are blackened all over. Put the peppers in a paper bag, close, and let steam for about 20 minutes. Peel the charred skin from the peppers and slice thinly. Set aside.
2. Place the potatoes in a 350˚F oven to bake for 1 hour or until tender when pierced. Take from the oven and cool slightly. In the meantime, make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard, dried tarragon, garlic and red onion. Add salt and pepper and slowly whisk in the olive oil. Adjust seasonings if necessary. Cut the potatoes into 1/4-inch slices and toss immediately with the vinaigrette.
3. Spoon the potato mixture onto a platter. Sprinkle with the capers. Lay the roasted red peppers evenly over the top and toss on the black olives. Shave the Parmigiano-Reggiano generously over the top of the salad.