Salted Fudge Brownies
recipe by Kate Krader | Food & Wine Magazine
• 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
• 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
• 2 cups sugar
• 3 large eggs
• 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon Maldon sea salt ( I substituted Fleur de Sel)
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a 9-inch square, metal cake pan with foil, draping the foil over the edges. Lightly butter the foil.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter with the unsweetened chocolate over very low heat, stirring occasionally. (Or, melt the butter and chocolate in a large bowl on low heat in microwave oven). Remove from the heat. Whisking them in one at a time until thoroughly incorporated, add the cocoa, sugar, eggs, vanilla and flour. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface. Sprinkle the salt evenly over the batter. Using a knife, swirl the salt into the batter.
3. Bake the fudge brownies in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the edge is set, but the center is still a bit soft and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little of the batter. Let the brownies cool at room temperature in the pan for 1 hour, then refrigerate until they are firm, about 1 hour. Lift the brownies from the pan and peel off the foil. Cut the brownies into 16 squares. Serve at room temperature.
* If desired, sprinkle the brownies with a little more fleur de sel when taken out of the oven.
TAKE a LOOK: