Uh,oh... Sorry. You made it very clear and I apologize... Even though I will continue to make "healthy salads" throughout this new year, I will balance them (or possibly even over-compensate) with decadent desserts.
I had two friends over for lunch and made this Pineapple Upside-Down Cake for dessert. Serve with either vanilla Greek yogurt, freshly-whipped heavy cream, or as I did with vanilla crème fraîche.
The cake is best eaten the day it is made.
• 1 cup packed brown sugar
• 12 canned pineapple rings in juice (you will need one 20-ounce can plus one 8-ounce can of pineapple slices)
• 2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly-grated nutmeg
• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• 1/2 cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• Vanilla Greek yogurt or sweetened whipped cream, for serving
• 12 maraschino cherries, for serving
1. Butter the interior of a 13x9x2-inch baking pan and line the bottom with waxed or parchment paper.
2. Make the pineapple topping by melting 1/2 cup butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add the 1 cup brown sugar and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly over the waxed paper. Drain the pineapple rings and reserve 1/2 cup of the pineapple juice. Place 12 of the pineapple rings, evenly spaced, onto the bottom of the pan.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in a bowl. In a mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter, granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Mix for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. With the electric mixer at low speed, add half of the flour mixture, followed by the reserved 1/2 cup pineapple juice and milk; beat until combined. Add the remaining flour and vanilla and mix just until incorporated.
4. Spread the batter carefully and evenly over the pineapple slices in the pan. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack, for 10 minutes. Place a serving tray over the pan and using potholders or a towel to hold the two together, carefully invert. At this point, I let the tray and pan set for a few minutes before I removed the pan, slowly. Carefully peel off the waxed paper.
5. Serve upside-down cake warm, topped with yogurt or whipped cream and a maraschino cherry.
MAKES 12 SERVINGS Cake is best eaten the day it is made.
TAKE a LOOK: