PEPPERCORN BEEF with GORGONZOLA CHEESE
recipe from the April 2004 Food & Wine magazine
• Four 5-ounce trimmed beef tenderloin steaks, about 2 inches thick
• 1 tablespoon crushed black peppercorns
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/4 pound Gorgonzola cheese, cut into pieces
1. Preheat the oven to 400˚F. Generously season the tenderloin steaks with salt and pat the crushed peppercorns all over them. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Add the steaks and cook them over moderately high heat until they are browned, approximately 4 minutes per side. Transfer the steaks to a rimmed baking sheet and roast them in the oven for about 12 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center of the steaks registers 130˚ for medium-rare meat.
2. Meanwhile, wipe out the skillet with a paper towel. Add the balsamic vinegar and the sugar and boil over high heat until the vinegar is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 3 minutes.
3. Top the tenderloin steaks with the Gorgonzola cheese and roast them for 2 minutes longer, or until the Gorgonzola is just melted. Transfer the tenderloin steaks to plates, drizzle them with the balsamic reduction and serve right away.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: