A perfect meal for for a hot summer's day -- quinoa salad filled with fresh cherries, lettuces, dried apricots, and nuts, and drizzled with a sweet honey vinaigrette. I served the salad with fragrant and flavorful (garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, and fresh chopped rosemary) Grilled Chicken Paillards via a recipe on The Splendid Table's Weeknight Kitchen.
• 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
• 1/4 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
• 1 small clove garlic, minced
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup unsalted whole cashews or mixed nuts
• 1/2 cup dried apricots, sliced into thin slivers
• 1 1/2 cups fresh dark sweet cherries, pitted and halved
• 1/4 - 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
• 5 - 6 cups butter lettuce and radicchio lettuces, torn
1. TO MAKE THE HONEY VINAIGRETTE: Combine the ginger, honey, vinegar, lime juice, and garlic in a small bowl. While whisking, slowly add the olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
2. TO MAKE THE SALAD: In a medium saucepan, bring the water, quinoa, and salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Remove the lid from the quinoa and fluff with a fork. In a serving bowl, combine the quinoa, nuts, apricots, cherries, and onion. Drizzle with the vinaigrette to moisten. Add the lettuces and gently toss, adding more vinaigrette if necessary and season with additional salt, if desired.
TAKE a LOOK: