So... what to do? Nothing of great importance happening this week that deserves a cake. What I settled on, to get my "carrot cake" fix were these Carrot Cookies with Orange Frosting. In fact, the carrot cake that I make and love is also iced with orange frosting. These cookies were a perfect substitution.
Carrot Cookies with Orange Frosting
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
• 3/4 cup sugar
• 1 cup cooked and puréed carrots
• 2 eggs at room temperature
• 3/4 cup flaked coconut
• Orange frosting, recipe follows
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir well. Set aside. Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add carrots and eggs, beating well. Add dry ingredients, mixing well; stir in coconut. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheets, 2-inches apart.
3. Place baking sheet on a rack in the center of the oven and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a rack to cool completely. Frost with the orange frosting.
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
• 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
• Grated rind of 1 large organic orange
• 1 tablespoon orange juice
1. Combine all of the ingredients; beat until light and fluffy.
YOU MIGHT LIKE: