No complaints with this meal. I've made these Breaded Fish Sticks before and I can always count on them being snapped up. My favorite part is the lemony tartar sauce. If you can make it early in the day or better yet, the day ahead, do so. It seems to take on even more of a lemony taste if it can set for several hours in the refrigerator and infuse that zesty flavor. This meal is perfect kid food.
The recipe suggests using Orange Roughy fillets; substitute other white fish if you are unable to find Orange Roughy. I used Tilapia this time and it was totally acceptable. The Tilapia, however, was thicker than Orange Roughy and I needed to increase my baking time by several minutes.
Fish Sticks with Lemon Tartar Sauce
For the Fish:
• 1/4 cup cornmeal
• 1/4 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon paprika
• 1/4 teaspoon dillweed
• 1/8 teaspoon pepper
• 1 pound orange roughy fillets, cut into 1-inch strips
• 1/3 cup milk
• 3 tablespoons butter, melted
1. Combine the first 6 ingredients in a dish. Dip the fish in milk and dredge in cornmeal mixture. Place in a lightly greased pan and drizzle with butter.
2. Bake at 450˚F for 10 minutes.
For the Lemon Tartar Sauce:
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
• 2 tablespoons dill pickle relish
• 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind (or a little more if you're a lemon-lover)
• 2 teaspoons lemon juice
1. Combine all of the ingredients and keep chilled in the refrigerator until needed.