RISOTTO with GRAPE TOMATOES, FRESH MOZZARELLA and BASIL
a recipe by Mary Alayne Long published in Cooking Light
• 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction
• 5 cups chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
• 1/3 cup dry white wine
• 1/4 cup half-and-half
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 cup halved grape tomatoes
• 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
• 5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, finely cubed
1. Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Keep warm.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions to the pan and sauté until tender. Add the rice; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir in the wine, and cook until the liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Stir in 1 cup broth; cook until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time , stirring constantly until each portion of broth is absorbed before adding the next. When all of the broth has been used and the rice is tender, stir in the half-and-half, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes. remove from heat; stir in tomatoes, basil and mozzarella. Spoon into bowls and drizzle each serving with 1/2 teaspoon balsamic reduction and 1/2 teaspoon oil.